Preparing an emergency plan for your family allows you to know how to react in the event of an emergency, whatever it may be. There is nothing more important than your family protection.
Emergencies are an unfortunate reality of homeownership. Extreme weather conditions can strike at any time, and many of your home systems are complicated machines that will eventually break down due to wear and tear. Robberies with force in homes have skyrocketed in Tampa over the last year, continuing the upward trend of recent years. Hence, home security is a crucial topic.
An emergency plan is an essential tool to ensure your family’s safety. It allows you to establish the actions to be taken and the rules to be followed in the event of an emergency.
In this article, we’ll tell you the best tips so that you can enjoy your home more safely. Besides, it will help you to prepare your home for emergencies.
Tips to increase the security of your home
The word home contains concepts such as comfort, well-being, and tranquility. To improve the security of your home, it is necessary to take into account a series of guidelines, both at the time of construction and when installing certain accessories.
1. Protecting your house against fire
A forgotten fire in the kitchen, a short circuit, a storm. Fire is an accident that can be prevented, but you would only have two minutes to escape. For this reason, when we talk about fires in homes, the key is its prevention and timely detection. Next, we show you a list of tips thanks to which you would be preventing a fire:
- Keep electric stoves and gas heaters away from curtains, upholstery, cushions, clothing, etc. The recommended minimum distance is at least one meter away.
- Never leave burning candles unattended in any corner of the house, much less while you sleep. The same thing happens with pans with oil in the kitchen.
- Do not overload plugs with multiple strips, especially with high-consumption devices.
- Do not try to repair the electrical or gas installation without knowing what you are doing.
- Do not use electrical appliances in poor condition.
- Keep flammable materials away from heat sources.
- Avoid smoking in bed.
2. Fire prevention measures
As we have said before, prevention is the key to avoiding fires and thus improving the safety of your home. In this sense, installing fire detection systems is the best way to avoid a good scare. For example, in countries such as France, Germany, or the United States, installing these systems in homes is mandatory. And it is that smoke alarms or detectors work even when you do not perceive the danger.
Fire prevention measures are:
- Install smoke alarms or detectors near bedrooms, hallways, kitchens, and garages.
- Change the batteries in these fire systems regularly.
- Test its correct operation at least once a month.
- Keep the top of the alarms clean of dust.
Another of the firefighting systems that should not be missing in any home is the fire extinguishers. The recommendations for the use of these “fire extinguishers” are:
- Place at least one fire extinguisher on each floor of the house.
- Ensure there is at least one fire extinguisher in the kitchen and one in the garage.
- Learn how to use fire extinguishers correctly to be able to act quickly in an emergency.
3. Install CCTV cameras
Add a CCTV camera to deter a burglar. This technique is very fast and lucrative. If you can’t afford then place a dummy camera, but its function is only a deterrent. It is available in different formats and colors to be installed outdoors or indoors. Dummy cameras have the advantage of being installed with two screws. Regardless, a CCTV camera can help you to catch theft and help you monitor your home no matter where you are. However, it is essential to take care of their poses (field of vision and height, for example) to be credible.
However, before security camera installation in Tampa, consult with a professional.
4. Install a connected wireless alarm
By opting for the latest-generation connected wireless alarm, the setting is intuitive from the associated mobile application (available free of charge on IOS and ANDROID). The laying of wireless elements can be carried out simply with the help of double-sided. Once the installation is complete, you can remotely keep an eye on your home, in other words, arm and disarm from the application, but also receive SMS and/or push notifications of system information (low detector battery, power cut, etc.).
5. Install Fire Alarm
The purpose of installing a fire alarm system is to detect and report the onset of a fire as soon as possible. It helps to reduce the time taken to implement adequate firefighting measures.
The choice of alarm system is made according to the configuration of the premises and the detectors according to the number of rooms. The fire alarm is equipped with sensors, transmitters, and a central alarm. The advantage of this type of equipment is that it works even in the event of a power failure.
6. Install a Smoke detector
Smoke detectors can use to prevent fire danger at the very beginning before it grows. The smoke detector gives a warning alarm when the smoke density in the environment exceeds a certain level. The place where you will position the smoke detector is very important. It is not preferred to be used close to places that produce steam, such as bathrooms, in order to prevent false perception.
7. Install Access Control System
An access control system is a set of devices that secure a home and prevent or detect unauthorized access through a door, window, or other external elements. For most homeowners, the access control system is limited to a closed handle and possibly a lock on the home’s front and back door. Sliding glass doors and the like are often secured with a toggle lock that is not proof of theft. Incorporating an access control system can enhance the security of any home.
Tips to avoid being a victim of a robbery
- First of all, doors and windows should always be checked before leaving the house. If you have an alarm system, remember to activate it even if you are coming back soon. You should never leave the house unprotected.
- It is important to have good lighting in the access, front garden, terrace, and parking lot. Also, as far as possible, have motion sensors.
- Avoid publishing through social networks that you left your home since this type of information alerts possible criminals.
- Remember to always have a support network in your neighborhood so that when you are not there, they can take care of your home.
- Eliminate the excess leafiness of the trees since it maintains a better view of the interior patio as well as the exterior. Criminals can hide in these spaces.
- Never leave valuables or documents, or large amounts of money, in the home. However, we recommend that you have a safe to store these items if you do. In this way, there is less risk of them being stolen.
- You must remember that if you go out at night, it is advisable to leave a light on so that it is not noticed that the house is alone.
- Never leave objects that thieves can use to climb or enter your home easily. Always check before you leave.
- Last but not least, consult with Residential Locksmiths in Tampa to secure your home against burglary.
Stay in touch with contractors.
Regular maintenance benefits you in more ways than one. Not only will you catch problems early and keep your system running smoothly, but you’ll build relationships with reliable contractors who know your systems well. This means that when you call at 2 a.m. with a burst pipe or a concerning electrical problem, the professional answering the phone is one step ahead of the solution. Preferably a professional who already has experience with you and your home.
Always keep the Hotline number of the Local Locksmith near you.
Keeping the hotline number of residential locksmith near you will help you in your emergencies. For example, lockout, key stuck in the lock, or lock and key replacement.
If you’re seeking a reliable Locksmith company in Tampa, rely on All In One Locksmith. We’re licensed, insured, and certified so that you can trust us.